At Certsy, we require a self-portrait to be crystal-clear, front-facing, unobstructed and taken in real time.
We understand that taking a good-quality photo can be tricky as there are many factors to consider. Here are some tips that will ensure a successful verification.
Not acceptable - blurry
Not acceptable - cut off (forehead)
Not acceptable - face in shadow
Not acceptable - not live - cropped from photo
- Ensure your camera lens is clean and free of smudges.
- Remove any accessories that obscure your hair, ears and/or face, such as a hat, spectacles or sunglasses. Head coverings do not need to be removed.
- Keep your hair off your face.
- If possible, natural lighting is recommended.
- Orient yourself to face the light source to ensure your face is free of shadow. Avoid positioning yourself directly under, to the side of or in front of a light source. For example, it is best to face a window during daylight rather than taking a photo with a window directly behind you.
- Sit or stand close enough to the camera so that your face is crystal-clear. It is ideal for the image to include only your shoulders and above.
- Position your face in the centre of the image.
- Directly face the camera. A photo taken from above, below or from the side will not be accepted.
Before clicking ‘Submit’, review the photo you have just taken and compare it to the acceptance criteria. Does it meet all the requirements? Are your eyes open? If not, don't hesitate to take multiple photos and pick the best one.
If you're still unsure that you've done it correctly, simply contact us and we'll help you out!